Church Articles of Faith
~ The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints ~
Eyes that see may behold visions
Ears that hear may hear God's voice
Hearts that are open and contrite
May come to understand the things of God
[Churched Belief Articles]
[Testimonial Witness Belief]
[Personal Belief Articles]
WHAT ARE THE BASIC BELIEFS OF THE LDS CHURCH?
For some straight forward statements about The Chruch of Jesus Christ of Latter-day
Saints straight from the Church, click on the image of Christ to the right. The
basic 'Articles of Faith' of the church are listed below as prepared by the
church's first prophet.
The Articles of Faith of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
1. We believe in God, the Eternal Father, and in His Son, Jesus Christ, and in the Holy Ghost.
2. We believe that men will be punished for their own sins, and not for Adam's transgression.
3. We believe that through the Atonement of Christ, all mankind may be saved,
by obedience to the laws and ordinances of the Gospel.
4. We believe that the first principles and ordinances of the Gospel are: first,
Faith in the Lord Jesus Christ; second, Repentance; third, Baptism by immersion
for the remission of sins; fouth, Laying on of hands for the gift of the Holy
5. We believe that a man must be called of God, by prophecy, and by the laying on
of hands by those who are in authority, to preach the Gospel and administer in the
6. We believe in the same organization that existed in the Primitive Church,
viz (namely), apostles, prophets, pastors, teachers, evangelists, etc.
7. We believe in the gift of tongues, prophecy, revelation, visions, healing,
interpretation of tongues, etc. (and so forth).
8. We believe the Bible to be the word of God as far as it is translated correctly,
we also believe the Book of Mormon to be the word of God.
9. We believe all that God has revealed, all that He does now reveal, and we
believe that He will yet reveal many great and important things pertaining to
the Kingdom of God.
10. We believe in the literal gathering of Israel and in the restoration of
the Ten Tribes; that Zion (the New Jerusalem) will be built upon this the American continent,
that Christ will reign personally upon the earth, and that the earth will be
renewed and receive its paradisiacal glory.
11. We claim the privilege of worshiping Almighty God according to the
dictates of our own conscience, and allow all men the same privilege, let
them worship how, where, or what they may.
12. We believe in being subject to kings, presidents, rulers, and magistrates,
in obeying honoring, and sustaining the law.
13. We believe in being honest, true, chaste, benevolent, virtuous, and in doing
good to all men; indeed, we may say that we follow the admonition of Paul - We
believe all things, we hope all things, we have endured many things, and hope
to be able to endure all things. If there is anything virtuous, lovely, or of good
report or praiseworthy, we seek after these things.
- Joseph Smith